How to get back in shape after pregnancy in 5 simple steps
November 9, 2018
Chocolate, ice cream, pickles, potato chips, spicy food, and all those tasty snacks get the best of us during pregnancy. The heightened sense of smell during pregnancy makes the yearning for these foods almost uncontrollable! Because of these cravings, most of us put on more fat than what the doctor recommends. This leaves most new moms wondering what post pregnancy diet to adopt and how to get back in shape after pregnancy?
Here are 5 simple tips to help you lose your pregnancy weight and fat
1. Drink a lot of water: There are numerous articles and research papers that emphasize the importance of keeping our body properly hydrated, especially post pregnancy. Water has zero calories, no sugar, and is easily available. Making simple changes like drinking water over soda, sugary juices, alcohol, and other carbonated drinks can help speed up your fat loss journey.
2. Meditation: Being a new mom is stressful on your body and your mind. Your life changes the moment your baby is born, and so does your schedule. Meditating for as little as five minutes first thing in the morning takes your mind of all the stress and gets your ready to tackle any challenges that come your way.
3. Light Exercises: Back pain is one of the most commonly reported pains of new moms. Something as simple as lifting your baby from the crib, and picking up toys from the floor can cause back pain over time. It is highly recommended that you spend 5-15 minutes every other day doing light stretches, yoga, or even some floor exercises. One small step each day will get you ready for when your little ones are not so little anymore.
4. Eating a healthy balanced diet: Now that the cravings are no longer there, finding the best mix of eating the right amount of proteins, fats, carbohydrates, and fiber is the key to get back in shape after pregnancy. It is highly recommended that you consult with your doctor as your baby gets their nutrition from your feed. Having that right mix is not only important for you but equally as important for your baby’s health.
5. Get enough sleep: We know that getting proper 6-9 hours of sleep with a newborn is nearly impossible. However, it is a very important part of our health. Our body recovers during sleep and if you are well rested, you will automatically make healthier lifestyle choices. Some benefits of sleep include faster resting metabolism, enhanced physical activity, a clearer mind, and it helps prevent insulin resistance which is key to any successful body transformation.
We highly recommend that you consult with your doctor before making any drastic changes to your lifestyle, as your baby’s health depends on the choices you make. The bottom line is that making healthier lifestyle choices will help you lose the baby weight.
Image Source: Flickr