Keeping Baby Safe
Our customer service department receives so many safety related inquiries from parents and caretakers that that we have come up with a short Q&A for our customers. With the New Year just begining, make it a habit to take a few spare moments to check all your baby gear over to make sure that everything is in good working order. Whatever parts require a quick evaluation and/or adjusting is worth doing on a regular basis in order to keep baby safe, and mommy and daddy at ease.
Are Stork Craft’s products compliant to safety regulations?
Your child’s safety is our greatest concern. Stork Craft strives to exceed your expectations in the areas of safety, performance, usability and style. All products meet or exceed North American regulatory standards for juvenile furniture safety and performance.
All Stork Craft products are built to comply with the Consumer Product Safety Commission in the United States, and Health Canada in Canada.
Stork Craft is JPMA certified.
How can I check to see if my crib is recalled or not?
For customers located in the United States, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (http://www.cpsc.gov/) can be contacted directly. Their toll-free Hotline, 1-800-638-2772 is available 24 hours a day and can be used to find out whether a product has been recalled and how to return a recalled product or arrange for its repair.
For customers located in Canada, please contact Health Canada (http://cpsr-rspc.hc-sc.gc.ca/PR-RP/home-accueil-eng.jsp).
My baby often sticks his/her limbs between the slats. What are the regulations for crib slat spacing?
Crib slats or spindles should be spaced no more than 2 3/8” apart, and none should be loose or missing.
My baby is teething on the rails. Is the paint safe?
You are not alone when it comes to a young child wanting to chew on their crib. Although many children only gum their cribs, there are some who will continually chew until they are removed from the area. Stork Craft products are made with non-toxic paint, which has no lead in it. Please keep in mind, however, that wood as a natural product will deteriorate if subjected to continual gnawing as teeth are harder than wood.
As a manufacturer, there is not much we can do to prevent this behaviour from occurring, but we do to suggest to parents to seek the advice of their paediatrician on what can be done to help limit this behaviour.
All Stork Craft products are built to comply with the Consumer Product Safety Commission in the United States and Health Canada in Canada, and meet or exceed North American regulatory standards for juvenile furniture safety and performance.
Up to how many pounds will a Stork Craft crib hold?
The limiting factor for using the crib is not weight, but by height. The maximum height for a child to use a crib is 95cm.
How can I evaluate my baby’s crib for safety?
Make every night a good, SAFE Night! When a crib is assembled to the manufacturer’s instructions and properly cared for, it provides a safe and comfortable environment for baby. To ensure the safety of your crib for current and future use, follow these guidelines:
- Never place the crib near windows, draperies, blinds or wall mounted decorative accessories with long cords.
- Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines on the appropriate weight and size of babies who can safely use the crib.
- Make sure there are no missing, loose, broken or improperly installed screws, brackets or other hardware on the crib or the mattress support. Regularly check the stability and hardware on the crib.
- Never use a crib with corner posts over 1/16 of an inch above the end panels (unless they’re over 16” high for a canopy). Babies can strangle if their clothes become caught on corner posts.
- The crib mattress should fit snugly with no more than two fingers width between the edge of the mattress and the crib side. Otherwise, baby can get trapped between the mattress and the side of the crib.
- No cutout areas on the headboard or footboard so baby’s head cannot get trapped.
- No cracked or peeling paint.
- No splinters or rough edges.
- If you are located in the United States, look for the JPMA Certification Seal.
Still have more questions which were not answered above?
For any further questions or inquiries, please feel free to contact Stork Craft customer service directly either by email or telephone.
-Email (Email size at 4MB and under): firstname.lastname@example.org
-Phone (toll free): 1-877-274-0277 (Monday to Friday, 7 AM to 3 PM Pacific Standard Time)