The Windy City
Happy Hump Day!
I spent this past Thursday to Monday in Chicago for a mini get away and I think I have found my new “totally love” city! To be honest, I did not expect much as I have always regarded New York as the ultimate place to live it up in North America. But I think Chicago may be a rival! The Windy City has all the aspects of a great city to live in: Good shopping (Magnificent Mile!), it’s multicutural, plenty of mouth watering food (deep dish pizza, steak), amazing art deco architecture, and all of this is settled along a beautiful waterfront with plenty of green space!
For those with young children, Chicago is a kid friendly destination. If you ever go, here are 5 picks that are worth checking out.
1) Chicago Children’s Museum: You won’t need to worry about “boring” in this museum! Chicago Children’s Museum has three floors of exhibits and activities that educated children through hands on activities and play. Both you and the kids will learn new things here.
2) Lincoln Park Zoo: Sitting on Chicago’s lakefront, this zoo is easily accessible and all the members of the family will enjoy all the must-sees, including the Great Ape House, lions, a $12-million greenhouse with rain forests, savannahs and deserts recreated under a 45-foot high glass dome and more.
3) Tall Ship Windy: Have an aspiring sailor or even little pirate on your hands? Taken them for a sail along the lake shore on the 148 foot traditional four masted schooner. You can find this at the Navy Pier.
4) Navy Pier: This is the one stop shop for food, entertainment and a whole day of fun. The Navy Pier is Chicago’s lakefront playground offering 50 acres of promenades, shops, restaurants and activities. Rent a bike, hop on a boat cruise, see Chicago from the 150 foot ferris wheel, and then round out the day with a fireworks show that runs through the summer every Wednesdays and Saturday nights.
5) John Hancock Observatory: 94th-floor observatory with more than 1,000 feet above Chicago, it’s got a Skywalk for those who are daring and enjoy heights.
6) American Girl & Hershey’s: I know I had written top five picks, but as a girl, and especially one with a sweet tooth, I couldn’t resist including these last two in. American Girl is a little girl’s dream: Create a custom doll with choice of hair colour, outfits and more. When your little ones (or you) need a little pick-me-up after a long day of walking, head to Hershey’s for an ice cream or smoothie in store.
Check out www.chicagokids.com for more listings and activities.
-A snap shot of my trip: